My students are studying South America this week, and so my goal was to talk about South America -- in some way. However, in looking through my travel and tourism news sources, I found very little about tourism and travel in South America. For some reason South America does not appear as frequently in the international news travel news as does much of the rest of the world, including Cetral America/Caribbean. While I admit that I have my own personal bias toward events related to Asia, my sources are more general than that. If anyone knows a good sources for travel and tourism news about South America, please let me know.
Getting this week's podcast up was quite a challenge. I have a new condensor microphone. And even know people say it's supposed to be a very good one, I find it tended to pick up the "S" sound very prominently. This is known as "sibilance", and is supposed to be fixed by using a pop filter. Well, I have a pop filter but it does not seem to really help that much. So I went through the entire podcast and I reduced the level of the "S" sound every time it appeared in and annoying manner. This took a couple more hours of postprocessing than I would normally have done. Hopefully I can get this figured out for the next week's podcast.
Please take a few minutes to take my listener survey. The link is on the right side of this webpage.
Here are links to the items mentioned on today's this week's podcasts:
* Geography skills or the lack there of
* AAA travel high school challenge contest offers students more than $100,000 in scholarships and prizes
* AAA travel challenge
* Great escape 2005
* Great escapes travel humor
* Space adventures
* Brazil gears up for commercial spaceport
* Brics: the changing face of global power -- a four-part series by BBC News
- New players challenge world order
- Boom times await new powers
- New muscles in the marketplace
- Causes for concern for new hours
Here are a few other Space Tourism news items that may be of interest to potential space travelers:
* BBC: The Space Race: Space Tourism (audio)http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/specials/1744_spacerace/page4.shtml
* BBC: Space tourist returns to Earth
* BBC: Firm offers $100m orbit of moon
* Virgin Galactic - space flight reservations website (f0r 2008)
* New Voyager News - source for space tourism news