Sunday, September 11, 2005

G4T #7: Leisure and Tourism

This is a Geography for Travelers Podcast related post (click on the title above to download the .mp3 file)

Today's podcast focused on some general definitions of leisure, and how these give us some insight into the tourist experience. In addition to what I mentioned in the podcast, I wanted to point out that religion is often considered a leisure-form of activity. This is, I think, directly related to the definition of leisure as a state of mind. Furthermore, there is a concept that has gained in popularity in recent years known as work, or volunteer, tourism. It is also know as working holidays, or working vacations. Last year I had students in my class examine web sites that promoted working vacations, and then answer some questions about them. Would you want to go on a working vacation? Isn't that an oxymoron?

Well, I think I have finally hit my stride with this podcast thing. My daughter commented, after listening to my last podcast, that I had a problem with the S sound. My S's tended to be quite loud and a bit annoying. So this evening I played around for a couple of hours with my microphone in different locations, and with different ways of editing my podcast files, to see if I could reduce the S sound. I think I did manage to do that by moving my microphone to a certain location. On the other hand, I have an implant that replaced a tooth and I had damaged when I was in the third grade, playing kickball. That implant is right in front of my mouth, and is larger than my regular teeth, causing me to have a bit of a lisp, especially with the letter S. Anyway, I think today's podcast went very well, and I don't think it will be such an annoyance in the future.

~~~~~

Download this podcast: Click on the title above
Podcast Homepage: http://travelgeography.libsyn.com/
Subscribe to the RSS Feed using: http://travelgeography.libsyn.com/rss

This podcast was edited, renamed and reposted on 25 Sept 2006